Orthodox Africa is committed to helping specifically Orthodox missions in Africa. We seek to assist in serving the vulnerable members of the communities where we have been asked to serve.
Presently, we are working with missions in Kenya which serve as schools and orphanages, and we have recently started working with a church in Uganda. Our missions currently include:
- Saint Barnabas Orthodox Orphanage and School, South Kinangpop, Kenya (Nairobi Diocese)
- Saint Irene Orthodox Mission Center, South Kinangpop, Kenya (Nairobi Diocese)
- Bishop Athanasius Secondary School, Mugen, Nandi County, Kenya (Kisumu Diocese)
- Annunciation Orthodox Church, Bukasa Island, Uganda (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia)
- St. John Maximovitch Secondary School, South Kinangpop, Kenya (Nairobi Diocese)
- Saint Innocent Academy Kapsabet, Nandi County (Kisumu Diocese)
We look forward to the opportunity to add more missions in the future.
At its inception, Orthodox Africa was concerned with vetting missions. Our members have all had an ongoing interest in missions in Africa for years, but, with the onslaught of pleas for help, they struggled to determine which missions were legitimate, Orthodox missions, and which pleas were, to be frank, scams.
For this reason, one of the primary goals of Orthodox Africa has been thoroughly vetting each of the missions we serve.
This means that:
- Financial records and transactions are transparent, shared with the board members of both countries.
- Missions are vetted with the hierarchy of the area in which they are located.
- Before they are included in our campaigns, an American board member personally spends time on location, in Kenya, at the mission.
- If there is any doubt about the legitimacy or transparency of the missions, they will not be included.
- If, after inclusion, there is any question of the legitimacy or transparency of the missions, we will work with the missions on an action plan to resolve any issues in order to maintain inclusion. If the action plan is not maintained, the mission will be removed ("excluded") from our network.
- No member of Orthodox Africa will publicly recommend funding any mission that has been excluded from our network without risking suspension or expulsion from the organization. We will never ask you to donate to ANYONE we don't donate to out of our own pockets.